Sunday, December 31, 2006

Good Bye Kiev




Since my flight was not until Saturday I had to tackle Friday on my own with the kids. Just imagine how hard it is to keep two 3.5 year olds busy (especially not on either of our turfs)! I decided to try and walk the energy out of them.

So we first walked to the Delta office to obtain a printed record of our flight (sometimes folks have had a hard time boarding flights with just an “e” ticket). Then I did the traditional visit that most adoptive families do on their last day in Kiev ~ Lunch at Fridays! I ordered the kids their first hamburgers. Let’s just say that it was not a hit. I guess they’ll learn more about hamburgers stateside.

Kiev is all decked out for their holidays which officially begin today on the 29th and last for 10 days. Christmas trees were everywhere! It was so pretty, a little snow on the ground and walking in snow flurries in the morning. By afternoon the sun came out and it warmed up. Really beautiful against the old buildings and Byzantine style churches.

The kids were falling asleep on their feet, so we went back to the apartment after lunch. But they would not nap. So around 4 we went out again just up the street to see Saint Sophia’s and the monument to Kiev (sorry, I forgot the name). Again it was spectacular.

It was a horrible night trying to get them to sleep. Lots of crying. They are extremely over tired. No naps in the last 2 days. And heck, they are totally out of what they have practically know all their lives, the orphanage. So I really need to give them credit ~ they have been troopers so far.

Now the flight tomorrow. About 20 hours of travel time. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it goes smoothly!

No comments: